Once upon a time…
There was a girl/woman who loved muesli, in fact, it was her favorite go to breakfast.
Alas, this girl/woman had to go grain free… and her children also. What was she to do?
Come up with this:
This was inspired by the recipe in Trim Healthy Mama from the Greek Yogurt Swirls section. The original recipe is called Apple Cinnamon it’s an E on pg. 250. I tweaked it for my children who cannot have dairy.
- 1/3 cup organic homemade sugar free applesauce (or organic store bought)
- 1/4-1/3 cup mixed berries frozen and thawed or fresh (I use mixed frozen defrosted, but use what you have)
- A very small amount of chopped nuts 1-2 tbs.(I use almonds, walnuts, or pecans. I also soak and dehydrate mine to remove phytates)
- A liberal dash of cinnamon
- A small dash of stevia (optional, or honey for GAPS)
- Place applesauce in bowl.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Place berries and juices (if using frozen) on top of the apple mixture.
- Sprinkle optional sweetener.
- Top with nuts.
This is so simple and is just a perfect replacement for my old muesli.
To get some protein, add a side of 0% greek yogurt (homemade and strained for GAPS and SCD), or add a protein smoothie or shake. Another option if you can eat eggs is to have an egg white scramble or omelet.
**My children use a lot more nuts than I do!
For Trim Healthy Mama this is an E