This came about on a cool spring day in 2013.
We had to cut it out of our diets due to the GAPS Intro.
However, as Full GAPS came into play, we were able to add this back, as long as I soaked the beans for 7 days.
Needless to say, we didn’t have this meal often on Full GAPS. I often forgot to get the beans going in time!
Now that we are mostly off GAPS and all the way on Trim Healthy Mama, we can enjoy this wonderfully filling and delicious meal again.
This will serve a very large crowd or feed your decent sized family for at least two meals.
It is SUPER easy to put together and allows for all your favorite tweaks.
If you do not like suggestions, take the basic recipe and make it all your own. Do I hear tomatoes or spice anyone? I think I might have to try that myself next time.
- Whole chicken or chicken breasts equal to 4-5 cups, shredded and cooked (or more if you like)
- 4-5 cups of great northern or navy beans, cooked
- 2 large bunches or I box pre-washed fresh baby spinach
- 3-4 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- *Garlic, powder or fresh to taste
- *Sea salt, to taste
- *Pepper, to taste
- *Thyme, to taste
- *Other seasonings like Italian, basil or oregano to taste
- Broth or water
- 1 tablespoon butter or palm oil
- In a large pot, use a little butter or palm oil to saute onions, celery, and carrots.
- Saute till crisp tender.
- Add all other ingredients to the pot with enough broth and/or water to just cover.
- Simmer for ½ hour to 1 hour.
- Place all ingredients in the crock pot with enough broth and/or water just under the top of the food.
- Turn on low for 3-4 hours or high for 1-2 hours.
* Exact measurements for seasonings for our family: 1 tablespoon sea salt ½ tablespoon pepper 3-4 cloves of garlic minced or ½ tablespoon garlic powder 2 teaspoons thyme 1-2 teaspoons alternative seasonings
What I love about this recipe is its ease and yumminess. It is great for a cold wintery day or a lovely spring lunch.
Serve this with bread if you like, a nice green salad, a piece of fruit or fruit salad or as is for an enjoyable E meal for Trim Healthy Mama.
Try my Tropical Fruit Salad as a nice side:
Want to see what Trim Healthy food looks like?? Visit the Trim Healthy Mama’s Pinterest Board and get your mouth watering! You will also find great blog’s that dedicate their time to Trim Healthy Mama on the THM Blog’s Board