Yes. And Heavenly.
These are simple, delicious and amazing. Hubby couldn’t get enough. Neither could I!
This came about after having browsed an edition of Cooks Country, (Although I am a Trim Healthy Mama, I still subscribe to my beloved cook’s magazine and buy their books because I love their food and I LOVE to tweak recipe that are amazing to fit the Trim Healthy Mama plan and our “healthier-for-us” food choices.) where I spotted a recipe featuring Asparagus Au Gratin style. WOW! That sounded good.
But my fridge didn’t contain Asparagus and it was certainly not on sale. Green beans were however! And they had found their way into my fridge just before Christmas when Sprouts had one of their great sales.
I didn’t even look at the recipe in the magazine. Just put my own twist on what I thought would be lovely. Knowing my man, I had to make these green beans his way. He likes them a bit soft. Not ultra soft, but certainly NOT crunchy. So I had to get a little more creative than just throwing it all on a pan and cooking or baking them.
It became obvious the the simplest way to make them a smidge soft would be to cook the beans similar to roasted potatoes but with some foil to catch the steam they would produce. Er go softer beans and happy honey. 🙂
The Au Gratin part was a bit different than I had planned because I was working with what I had in said fridge. Instead of Sharp Cheddar, I used Pepper Jack. Well that added some nice spice and pizzazz. Know that you can use any on plan cheese you have to make for your family. I will be sure to have the Sharp Cheddar on hand next time.
Rather then me babbling on about how amazing and simple this is, let’s just get to the recipe:
- 2-3 pounds of fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into thirds
- 1/2 stick of butter, cut into 1/4"-1/2" peices
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, fresh works too
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Place trimmed and cut green beans into a 9X13 inch Pyrex dish.
- Sprinkle seasonings over the beans evenly. Stir.
- Dot with butter.
- Place foil on the dish.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and stir.
- Return foil and return to oven for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven again, stir.
- Add shredded cheese evenly over the green beans, do not place foil on the dish.
- Return to the oven to brown. Approximately 15 minutes more.
- Serve and enjoy!
For Trim Healthy Mama, this is a S side dish. I served this along some spicy style-pan fried salmon and a lovely side salad. My family had some rosemary potatoes with their’s. All were quite impressed! If you are interested in some of my Salmon recipes you can try these Dilled Salmon Patties which are AMAZING or the Blackened Skillet Salmon which is very close to the one we enjoyed when we at these amazing beans. 🙂
Hope you love it as much as we did…. I sure can’t see how you won’t! 😉
Any tips and tricks you have for cooking Green Beans? Any recipes you’d love to share?